Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Interview: Anushka Manchanda, Singer, Musician

Interview: Anushka Manchanda, Singer, Musician
Bold, vibrant and teeming with constant energy. Anushka Manchanda is more than just a pretty face. She can play the crowds as well as myriad instruments (piano, guitar and some drums), with equal elan. She sings in Hindi, multilingually in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and English. Singer, songwriter and musician, Anushka arrived on the scene with a Channel V talent contest but has come a long way since as she is busy recording for Bollywood blockbusters and has formed her own electropop band - Shkabang.

What are the projects keeping you busy?
My absolute latest releases this year are from Kambakkht Ishq, Luck and Do Knot Disturb. I have about 12 tracks that should be coming up for release soon including songs I've done for Alladin, Kites, Dulha Mil Gaya, Raat Gayi Baat Gayi. I'm also part of Khatron Ke Khiladi, Level 2. My new electro poprock band Shkabang was launched in August, and our album should be ready by the end of this year.

How has the journey been from the time you began working in the industry?
It's been great. I got lucky and had a great start with Viva, and then as a VJ with Channel [V]. I jumped into playback and started from scratch, working hard to gain credibly in the industry as a singer, and have not looked back since. I've learned a lot, and really took control of my life at the beginning of this year. I have lots & lots to do, still, and I'll keep working towards doing as much as I possibly can do.

Do you plan to cut an album in time to come?
I'm not doing a commercial Hindi album right now. I'm focusing on playback and playing some good music with my band. We will have an English album ready soon. I'm talking about collaborations with other artists, so there may be a single. I'm playing this one by ear.

How was the experience of shooting for Khatron Ke Khiladi, hosted by actor Akshay Kumar?
It was crazy! It was stressful and hard, but it was also fun. I had a great time handing with the girls and have made really good friends. Some of the stunts had me crying like a baby and some of them made me feel like the hero of an action flick. It was a killer experience!

How do you define style? And how important is it while performing?
My style mantra is never to be boring. I love fashion, but I don't let it rule my wardrobe. I like to have fun with my clothes and accessories, and that's what makes getting dressed up exciting. However a zest for life is what finally matters even on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment